RED PEPPERS PAPRIKASH (RUSSIAN LECHO)
Russian Recipe Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 small tsp sweet Hungarian Paprika
- 6 large red bell peppers, cored, cut into 1/2" strips
- 3 Canned Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/3 c chicken broth, more if needed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sugar, or to taste
Russian Recipe Instructions:
First of all heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until translucent but not browned, about 7 minutes. And then sprinkle with paprika and saute the onions until they are deeply colored.
Next ss the onions begin to brown, add the peppers and continue to saute, stirring every few minutes, about 10 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
And then stir in tomatoes, paste, broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until pepper become tender, about 35 minutes, adding a little broth as it evaporates, if needed.
Remove from heat, stir in sugar, vinegar, and then allow the to cool.
Serve right away, or refrigerate until needed.
Can be served at any temperature, warm or room temperature.
For a variation, you can use roasted red peppers, reducing cooking time to suit...enjoy the Russian paprikash !